Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Frugal Fourth

I really wanted to have a 4th of July party this year. I wanted to go all out and have our adult friends over on the fourth, but I decided that maybe this wasn't the year for that. (If you wonder why, refer to photos in right sidebar. Ha!)

So I decided to throw the kids a little party for playgroup. The great thing about kids is that they don't really eat fancy things. I just made sandwiches -the bread, lunchmeat, and cheese were all on sale last week at Kroger. I put out salsa and blue chips from Target that I bought the week before when they have the chips on sale with a free salsa if you bought 2 bags. I made brownies and decorated them with red, white, and blue.

I picked up decorations from the party store, which I saved for use next year. I also recently bought several solid colored table clothes from LinenTablecloth.com to decorate for holidays. I bought red, blue, yellow, pink, and purple. I will use the over and over again for birthday parties and Christmas parties, so I feel like I will get my money's worth out of them.

For a craft, I picked up some little foam hats at Michael's which were on sale for 66c each and some foam star stickers. The mom's could write the kids names on each hat, and the kids decorated them. I was hoping some might wear it while playing out in the sun on the big blowup waterslide pool. (Of course, none of them did. Ha!) We love our pool, and that certainly makes it much easier to keep the costs down for a kids party.

Maybe next year, I will be up for a bigger party, and I already have decorations for it right. But I really enjoyed having this little party. Simple and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment