Saturday, April 25, 2009

Breaking Up Is Hard to Do


Breaking a habit can be so hard. We have cut off t.v. for Crazy #1. Yes, all t.v. Today was day 4. Surprisingly, he hasn't thrown a tantrum about the change. He asks each day at Crazy #2's naptime if I will turn on his show, but I just say, "No, we're not watching t.v." I then tell him that he has to play quietly while I put the other kids down for their naps. He has played and waited for me to come back down. I'm so impressed.

I have tried to do an activity with him each day like baking cookies or special reading of books. I love him so much, and I've been missing out on spending time with him. I've been using the t.v. as a babysitter so that I could rest during naptimes. It was one thing when I was pregnant or right after Sweetness arrived, but it's been 6 months. Soon Crazy #1 will be starting Kindergarten, and I won't have the time with just him. I don't want to miss an opportunity to get to know him and teach him because I'm too tired to be a good mom. I've made a decision to start making sure that I enjoy these last few months with him before he starts school. I can't have this time back.

Just in the 4 days, Crazy #1 has changed. He's been, well, less crazy. He just needs our attention. He always seems to be left out. We are constantly pushing him to be more independent and get more things for himself. Even though I still think we have to do those things because he is getting old enough to have more responsiblity, we have got to start making a effort to give him special time.


Funny how easy breaking Crazy #1's addiction has been, but I still can't go through the day without my beloved Dr. Pepper. In fact Pretty Boy just handed me his "Runner's World" with a quote from someone talking about giving up Dr. Pepper when he realized that he had to run a mile to burn off one can. Maybe I'll attack that addiction next week. One step at a time, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment